NESLA Board Meeting 5/22/16
5/22/16 6:00 PM
Anita Cellucci, Mary Ellen Minichiello, Merlyn Miller, Kathy Lawrence, Chris Barlow,
Shelley Stedman, Anna Bolognani,
Call to Order: Mary Ellen 6:10 PM
Approval of February Minutes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TVG3pvlQuDxX6qubwPBECdiNLyehd-VIH8LsJg09UXQ/edit?pref=2&pli=1#heading=h.gjdgxs
Treasurer’s Report: Merlyn reported
-Checking account: $15411.84 Paypal account: $342.68 making our total $15754.52 -Members have used Paypal for membership renewals 6 times so far in 2016.
-Anna and I are meeting June 21 in North Adams, MA to switch the Berkshire Bank , NESLA treasury accounts to her care as the newly elected treasurer.
AASL Region I: Shelley discussed timeline for commendations for ALA Affiliate. June 6th 11:00 AM for Google Doodle for conference call.
AECT Report: Charlie
-2016 Accepted Sessions for the AECT International Convention
-AECT’s Annual International Convention, Las Vegas, Nevada October 17 - October 21, 2016.
-The AECT 2016 Convention schedule is in process of being finalized. In the meantime, one may browse all the accepted sessions.
-There are three ways to browse the sessions:
1. Make a selection from the 'Select Group' menu above and click the 'Find!' button. Truncated titles for all accepted sessions of the selected group will be displayed in the left column as hyperlinks. When one clicks on a hyperlink, a description of the session will be displayed.
2. Make a selection from the 'Select Group' menu as well as a selection from the 'Select Session Type' menu and click the 'Find!' button. Truncated titles for all accepted sessions of the selected group as a certain session type will be displayed in the left column as hyperlinks. When one clicks on a hyperlink, a description of the session will be displayed..
3. To search by presenter, select a letter range of the person's last name. This action will then populate the 'Select Presenter' menu with all the names in the range selected. Clicking on any of the names from this menu will automatically populate the left column with the session(s) of that presenter. As before, after clicking on the truncated titles a description of session for that presenter will be displayed.
4. Browse all accepted sessions by clicking here.
5. Click the 'Reset' button to clear the form and start over.
See you in Las Vegas!
-2016 Summer Research Symposium, Indiana Memorial Union, Bloomington, Indiana
July 20-21, 2016
The symposium will be held in Bloomington, Indiana, July 20-21, 2016 following the regular AECT Summer Board & Leadership Meetings, July 18-19, 2016.It will begin the morning of July 20, 2016 and end on July 21, 2016 at the end of the day. It is the goal of the symposium to gather together a select group of scholars to share research for real dialogue and deep discussions about learning experience and learning design. Using Art of Hosting techniques for engaged conversation, we will have very intense and deep discussions of each proposed chapter. Social and recreation events will be developed to engage the participants more fully with the topic of design; non-electronic work periods will be used to examine the field from a different view point. The work of the symposium will be published by Springer, publisher of ETR&D and TechTrends.
Tentative Schedule for the Research Symposia , July 20-21, 2016
Tuesday 19th arrivals
- 4:00 PM pm Visiting lecture with Stolterman or Siegel.
- 8:30 am Continental breakfast
- 9:00 am Welcome & Introduction: Brad Hokanson, Greg Clinton, Karen Kaminsky
- 9:30 am Keynote, Stephen Peters
- 10:30 – 12:30 pm *Pro-Action Café, Discussions Round 1:
- 12:30 pm Lunch provided
- 1:30 – 3:30 pm *Pro-Action Café, Discussions Round 2:
- 3:00 pm Snacks available
- 4:30 - 5:00 PM pm Visual Thinking Exercise, Brad Hokanson
- 6:00 PM pm Dinner on your own. Convene in lobby
- 8:00 am Continental breakfast
- 8:30 – 10:30 pm *Pro-Action Café, Discussions Round 3:
- 10:30 am Break – Walk to museum
- 12:00 pm Lunch on own in Union or Art Museum
- 1:30 - 2:30 pm Keynote: George Veletsianos
- 2:30 - 4:30 pm *Pro-Action Café, Discussions Round 4:
- 4:30 - 5:00 pm Summary and adjourn
- 6:00 PM pm Dinner on your own. Convene in lobby
*Pro-Action Café uses round tables fitting up to eight participants. Paper Discussions will have 3 cycles of 30 minutes, 10 min breaks.
State Reports: Brief updates were given.
VSLA has been working on improving communication with membership and have formed a Communications Committee. They now have their own Twitter hashtag #VTVSLA and a facebook page.
Election- Pleased to announce the 2016-2017 NESLA officers
President - Mary Ellen Minichiello
President-Elect - Dr. Carol Gordon
Treasurer - Anna Bolignani
Secretary - Julie Williams
Awards - Presentations at the September meeting
Wild Apricot - Irene maintains and updates the site
ALA Orlando, June 23-28 - Meeting times from ALA connect:
Friday, June 24 , 12-4:00 PM
Affiliate Assembly Leadership Conference
Convention Center (W108)
Friday, June 24, 7:00-9:00 pm
Affiliate Assembly I
Hyatt- Regency Ballroom T
Sunday, June 26, 8:00 am- Noon
Affiliate Assembly II (note, breakfast will be available starting at 7:30 am)
Convention Center (W308)
In addition meetings on ESSA: two special sessions focused on ESSA:
Friday, 8:00-9:30 am (Convention Center W206C)
"Unpacking ESSA for the Library Eco-System" will focus on building coalitions to pull in key stakeholders to ensure funding reaches the school libraries in the community.
Friday, 10:00-11:30 am (Convention Center W206C)
"Unpacking ESSA for School Librarians" will focus on a call to action to connect ESSA language to the school library program and the development and practicing of "elevator speeches."
-Tentative plan for leadership conference in 2017
-New Date for F2F in September TBA
NESLA board meeting, from 10 -2
Sanborn Regional High School, Kingston NH
Saturday, September 17 or 24, F2F, 10-2 p.m.
Sept 23-24 — AASL's Gaming As Meaningful Education, Rochester NY Premier Event!!!
Adjourn: 6:44 pm